Shaykhul-Islam Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah (may Allâh have mercy upon him) stated:
When Moosaa traveled to al-Khidr he experienced in his travel upon his path the touch of hunger and tiredness. Therefore he said to his youth (that traveled with him):
Bring us our lunch for indeed we have experienced tiredness on this journey of ours.
Indeed (his traveling) was traveling to creation (so he experienced tiredness). However when his Lord made an appointed time for him of thirty days and completed it with ten more days, he didn’t eat during this time and he did not experience the touch of hunger or tiredness. That’s because (his travel) was traveling to his Lord the Most High. Likewise the traveling of the heart in its journey to its Lord, it doesn’t experience during it anything from suffering and tiredness like it finds when traveling to some of the creation. Continue reading →
Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy upon him) stated:
When you want use something as a proof as to what is in the heart, use the movements of the tongue as a proof. For indeed it makes known that which is in the heart whether the person wills it to be that way or refuses.
Source: Ad-Daa’-u wad-Dawaa’, pg. 64
Translated by Abu Yusuf Khaleefah
16th of Rabee’ ath-Thaani, 1436 H (02-05-2015)
Masjid Nur Allah, Queens, NYC Continue reading →
Ibraaheem bin Aadam (may Allah have mercy upon him) was passing by the market place of al-Basrah and the people gathered around him and said: “Oh father of Ishaaq, why is it that we supplicate but our supplications are not answered?” He said: “That’s because your hearts have died by way of 10 things!” They said: “What are they?!”
(1) You know Allah but you haven’t fulfilled His right (over you).
(2) You claimed you love the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), then you abandoned his Sunnah.
(3) You have read/recited the Qur’aan but you didn’t implement it.
(4) You have eaten (from) the favor of Allah (upon you) but didn’t fulfill showing gratitude for it.
(5) You said: Indeed the Shaytaan is your enemy but you agreed with him (by obeying him when he calls you to do evil).
(6) You said: Indeed the Paradise is the truth but you didn’t work for it.
(7) You said: Indeed the Hell-Fire is true, but you didn’t flee from it.
(8) You said: Indeed death is true but you didn’t prepare for it.
(9) You woke up from the (state of) sleeping and busied yourself with the faults of the people leaving off your own faults.
(10) You buried your dead but didn’t take a lesson from them. Continue reading →
The Noble ‘Allaamah Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy upon him) stated:
Have (great) concern oh brother for the purification of your heart before the purification of your body parts. How many people pray, fast, give charity, and perform Hajj but the person’s heart is corrupt?! Here are the Khawaarij. The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) mentioned about them that they pray, fast, give charity, recite the Qur’aan, stand at night in prayer, they cry, they make Tahajjud, and it was such that the companion (of the Prophet) would consider his prayer insignificant in comparison to their prayer. However the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said (about them), “Their faith doesn’t go past their collarbones,” meaning that the faith doesn’t enter into their hearts. This is the case along with them rectifying that which is outward. However it didn’t benefit them. Therefore do not be deceived by the uprightness of your body parts, and look at your heart before everything. I ask Allah that He rectifies my heart and yours. Continue reading →
The Allaamah Shaykh Rabee’ Ibn Haadi al-Madkhali (may Allah preserve him) stated:
The believer always fears that his state will change. It has been established on the authority of Aa’ishah and ‘Anas (may Allah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to say:
((Oh turner of the hearts, establish my heart upon Your religion.))