A Woman May Seek Khul’ah if Beaten by Her Husband

Question posed to Shaykh Fuād al-‘Amrī (may Allāh preserve him):

Is it permissible for a woman who has been beaten by her husband to the point that he hospitalized her to seek a Khul’ah?

The Shaykh (may Allāh preserve him) replied:

Yes, it is permissible for her to do so. She would give back the dowry and be released from the marriage by way of the Khul’ah. Rather, if she was in a place where there’s an Islamic judge, he would dissolve the marriage due to the abuse…”

Translated by Abu Yusuf Khaleefah
1st of Rajab, 1437 (04-08-2016)
Makkah Al-Mukarramah