On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) stated: “Do not make your homes graveyards. Indeed the Shaytaan flees from the home which Soorah al-Baqarah is recited in.” (Saheeh Muslim 780)
Shaykh al-‘Allaamah al-Muhaddith Muhammad ibn Aadam al-Ethiyoobe (may Allaah preserve him) mentioned some benefits from this Hadeeth:
1. Encouragement to pray Salaatun-Naafilah (superogatory prayers) in the homes.
2. The prohibition of taken the house as a place that is abandoned like the graves, you do not pray in it nor remember Allaah in it.
3. Encouragement to recite Soorah al-Baqarah in the house.
4. The virtues of Soorah al-Baqarah being that it repels the Shaytaan. He does not come near the home that it is recited in.
5. It is mentioned that the reason why Soorah al-Baqarah was mentioned specifically is due to it being a long Soorah. It comprises of many of the names of Allaah, many rules/regulations, clarification of the legislation, stories, admonishments. Some of the ‘Ulamaa mentioned that it comprises of 1000 pieces of news, 1000 commands and 1000 prohibitions. Allaah knows best as to what is correct.
Taken from: Al-Bahr al-Muheet ath-Thajaaj Sharh Saheeh al-Imaam Muslim ibn al-Hajjaah, Vol. 16, pg. 162-163
Translated by Abu Yusuf Khaleefah, NYC, USA
On the 19th of Rabee’ al-Awwal, 1435 H